Beacon, Shibuya
While we were having lunch, Koala asked me what kind of place Beacon is, and I said 'Ohhh, Oak Door-Two Rooms-57, you know', which is a description I stand behind. It's steak and comfort sides, modern-steak-house style, for foreigners.
I say 'modern steak house' as if it's an accepted genre; I don't know what steak houses are like in America these days, but all the Tokyo references provided are a good deal different from my Chicago favorites (Gibson's and Chop House, for the record). Beacon has a stylish bar, low lights, elegant, spare furnishings in warm colors, black-dressed staff, and a buncha meat.
That's unfair, there are other things too. Starters like wagyu carpaccio (oops...meat) and soft-shell crab were very American in their outlook. The carpaccio seemed to have Thousand Island dressing on it, while the crab had a thick, bubbly sort of fry coating that I initially thought was made from Rice Krispies (no). Nothing wrong with the taste, mind you, just a bit synthetic.
The meat was, in fact, the bomb (300g rib eye, at Y4400 the most expensive steak.proudly advertised as Australian.). I like steaks with a 'warm pink center', meaning every bit has been cooked at least a tiny bit. I would call this Medium, but noticed over years that restaurants seemed to go one level over the order, so started ordering Medium Rare. It worked a treat here. There was also a liberal coating of spice-laden dry rub whose constituents I couldn't name but included cumin, an edgy choice for a basic steak.
This being a (capitalize it) Steak House, you don't really get side dishes - my steak came with half a baked onion lightly crumbed over (which was tasty). That meant we needed to explore the rest of the menu, including mac 'n' cheese (made with mozzarella; very gooey and also quite good), zucchini and corn (nice summery combo) and spinach (plain and bitter; let the side down compared to a normal steakhouse spinach side, which I would expect the be heavily butter or creamed). A quick dessert of banana cream pie was a filo-ish shell loosely packed with the aforementioned custard and fruit, and it was a good, modern version, light enough to be suitable after steaks.
Beacon also keeps up with the competition by having a good wine program. There plenty of choices by the glass, at not-unreasonable prices. They also do carafes, and have a mid-sized list that I didn't delve into but is sure to include lots of New World stuff.
Geez, I didn't even remember to mention that it's part of TY Harbor, like the Shinagawa brewery or Hiroo's Cicada. Oh well. And i plum forgot to compare it to New York Grill (I should really get to Shinjuku more often!). I think, though, that if you want an 'international grill' restaurant, this is going to be your best price-quality ratio, and not at all short on the quality side.
03-6418-0077
Comments
Post a Comment